This one really hurts me to say because I love his music so much and a he is a massive part of the soundtrack if my life.
I remember R Kellys legal issues related to a sex tape but I never knew the amount of allegations of abuse to minors he had.
In this Medium article the allegations are described in great detail and I felt sick reading them, can these ALL be untrue?
Below is a summary of the allegations:
- Kelly met Aaliyah when she was 12-years-old and then married her when she was 15, he was 28 at the time. He falsified marriage documentsstating that she was 18, the marriage was later annulled and Aaliyah signed an NDA [nondisclosure agreement] preventing her from speaking about Kelly and their relationship. Barry Hankerson, Aaliyah’s uncle and Kelly’s then manager, writes a letter to Kelly’s attorney in an attempt to get Kelly psychiatric help for his “compulsion to pursue underage girls.”
- Tiffany Hawkins sues Kelly, alleging that beginning when she was 15-years-old he repeatedly had group sex with her and other underage girls.
- Patrice Jones sues Kelly, alleging that beginning when she was 16-years-old Kelly had sex with her repeatedly, impregnated her at 17 and then forced her to have an abortion. According to Jones’ lawyer, “That abortion haunts her to this day. She’s under psychological care now. It’s changed her life.”
- Tracy Sampson sues Kelly, alleging that Kelly began having sex with her when she was a 17-year-old intern at Epic Records and that Kelly impregnated her.
- Chicago prosecutors charge Kelly with 21 counts of child pornography centered around a tape that purportedly shows Kelly having sex with, and urinating on, his goddaughter, who was 14-years-old at the time. According to Jim DeRogatis, the Chicago-Sun Times reporter who covered the trial and wrote several stories investigating Kelly’s alleged abuses, “You watch the video for which he was indicted and there is the disembodied look of the rape victim. He orders her to call him Daddy. He urinates in her mouth and instructs her at great length on how to position herself to receive his ‘gift.’ It’s a rape that you’re watching.” Kelly is acquitted after his attorneys successfully argue that the tape could have been manipulated to make the man in it look like Kelly.
- During the trial Lisa Van Allen testifies that she began having sex with Kelly when she was 17-years-old, and had participated in group sex along with the 14-year-old girl in the tape. In her testimony Allen also says that she once broke down crying during a taped sexual encounter and Kelly became angry because the footage was now useless. “He couldn’t watch that, he couldn’t do anything with that,” she said.
- Kelly is arrested in Miami on 16 additional charges of child pornography, authorities claim they found multiple photos of nude, underage girls and photos of Kelly “involved in sexual conduct with the female minor” while searching his residence. The charges are dismissed because the search warrant was deemed to be invalid.
- An unnamed young woman alleges in a more than one-hundred page lawsuit that when she was 14-years-old Kelly discovered her at a Chicago school, Kentwood Academy, and began to have sex with her along with other underage girls he recruited from the school, giving them sneakers and other gifts. She says she’s “scarred” by the experience and later attempts to kill herself by slitting her wrists.
- In 2004 another sex tape leaks and the woman in that tape, Deleon Richards, says that she began having sex with Kelly a decade earlier, when she was a teenager.
- According to DeRogatis, there have been “Dozens of girls — not one, not two, dozens — with harrowing lawsuits,” all of which have been settled by Kelly. DeRogatis also recounts that he also routinely fields calls from other women who say they can’t sleep because they’re haunted by Kelly’s sexual abuse of them as a teenager. It’s important to note that all of the examples above, dozens of examples, only include women who went as far as filing lawsuits against Kelly. There are also reportedly several other examples in which Kelly settled with women before a lawsuit was filed, and droves of other women allegedly abused by Kelly who never pursued any action against him. For example, a woman told the Chicago Sun-Times that Kelly began having sex with her when she was 17 after they met at a video shoot, another said she was involved in group sex along Hawkins, another said she was one of the other girls from Kentwood Academy whom Kelly routinely had sex with, and Chicago area police twice investigated Kelly for completely separate incidents than the incident he was eventually charged for, but dropped those charges when the women declined to press charges.
- Kelly’s longtime publicist, Regina Daniels, abruptly quit saying that Kelly has “crossed a line” by having sex with their then college-age daughter, who Kelly had known since she was seven.
- Kelly’s brother, Carey Kelly, alleges that Kelly attempted to get him to say he was the one in the sex tape, which he refused to do. He also alleges that he was routinely asked to find girls who “looked underage” at Kelly’s shows and get their phone numbers.
- Demetrius Smith, Kelly’s longtime friend and personal assistant, publishes a memoir, The Man Behind the Man, in which he writes that: “Underage girls had proven to be [Kelly’s] weakness. He was obsessed. Sickly addicted.”
You can read the whole article HERE.